This year I used an Etsy recipe to create non-edible gingerbread ornaments and a ginger bread house. I can guarantee you'll find the ingredients in your cupboard and I already have oodles of puff paint which I used for "frosting"
So check out what I got to make on a Saturday after noon:
1) I sketched my ideal "home."
2) Came up with some real life dimensions.
3) Cut each piece out of thin cardboard.
4) Taped the pieces as a mock up.
5) Rolled out the dough!
6) Used my mock up cardboard pieces as a cutting template.
8) Puff painted.
9) Waited for the paint to dry.
10) And assembled with a hot glue gun.
I suppose that doesn't sound too easy. It may even seem crazy. But I would go crazy if I wasn't making something!